Australian Migration & Education- pathways available to Hong Kong Residents

As I stated at the talk held on Tuesday, the Australian government has allowed for various pathways for Hong Kong residents to enter Australia.

These include priority for:

  • 858 Distinguished Talent Visa
  • 188 Investment visa
  • 132 Investment visa
  • 5-year extensions for skilled visas i.e., 482 Temporary Skill Shortage and 457
  • Temporary Skilled visa
  • 5-year extension for those on 500 student visa and Temporary Graduate 485 visa.

The most frequently asked questions at the moment are the following:

Q: Is the 485-pathway going to lead to Permanent Residency?

A: Yes, it has been released in legislation by the Australian government, so this will happen before 2025. However, we don’t know how it will be implemented yet.

Q: Is there an age limit?

A: Yes, under the age of 50 years old

Q: What course do I have study? Do I have to study the same course I graduated from?

A: Of course, this is up to personal preference, the most important thing to remember is:

a) that you choose a course with a CRICOS code that accepts international students and;
b) that the course is 16 months in duration at a minimum.

If you choose a course that is similar to your previous degree, you maybe eligible for course credit.

Q: Can I work whilst studying?

A: Yes, in Australia as long as you’re only working 40 hours over 2 weeks during course time. There are also provisions for Masters/PHD students and their dependents to work full time.

Q: Can I start a business whilst studying?

A: Whilst you can start a business in Australia, there are a few things to consider:

a) the high tax in Australia;
b) whether you have the approval of the Foreign Investment Board, and;
c) whether you have an Australian resident who can act as a Director for your company.

Q: Why choose Australia over the U.K.?

A: Australia is a multicultural city and is 6-9 hours away from Hong Kong and only 1-3-hour difference on time, while UK would be around 11-13 hours away with 7-8-hour time difference, which could cause inconvenience on communication to relatives and friends in Hong Kong.   Both of them provides world-class education, however, in terms of climate, Eastern Australia cities like Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne are definitely enjoying more similar weather and temperature as in Hong Kong.


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Stay Updated

Related Posts

Global Talent Visa (858)

One of the most popular visas is the 858 Global Talent visa. The Global Talent visa is suitable for those in the industry of: Resources

Investment Visa (188)

Another popular way for Hong Kongers to go to Australia is via the investment route. The recent changes to the 188 investment visa saw the